Kickoff the new year with one of our unique cooking classes!
Apple Mixed Green Salad, Pomegranate, Blue Cheese, and Date Balsamic Vinaigrette
Date: April 9, 2016
- For the Salad:
- 4 whole Belgian endives
- 4 whole baby romaine
- 6 cups (about 8 ounces) baby arugula leaves
- 4 ounces crumbled Gorgonzola, Stilton, or Cabrales
- 4 ounces seeds from 1 medium pomegranate
- 3 tart apples, core and skins on
- For the Vinaigrette:
- 3 tablespoons date balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Make the vinaigrette:
- In a medium bowl combine gate vinegar, olive oil and salt and pepper.
- Place bowl on top of kitchen towel rolled into a ring to keep it steady, and slowly pour olive oil into bowl while whisking constantly.
- Vinaigrette should form a semi-stable emulsion. Season to taste with salt and pepper, then aside in the fridge.
- To serve:
- Trim bottoms of endives & separate into individual leaves.
- Rinse and spin dry arugula leaves in a salad spinner.
- Combine greens in a large bowl and drizzle with vinaigrette.
- Coat the apple slices with some of the vinaigrette.
- Gently toss with hands until evenly coated with vinaigrette. Taste and add more vinaigrette or salt and pepper as necessary.
- Add the cheese and pomegranate and toss briefly. Season to taste with salt and pepper.