End of Summer Sale - 20% OFF Ice Cream and Popsicle Gadgets, Life Factory Glasses, and BBQ Tools - Ends August 27th.
Apple Red Wine Tart
Date: March 31, 2016
- 2 cups flour
- 7 tablespoons sugar, plus more
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into ½" cubes,
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 1¼ cups red wine
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, 1 tablespoon sugar, and baking soda.
- Rub butter into flour until pea-size crumbles form.
- In a bowl, whisk together milk and yolks. Then, mix with a fork into the flour.
- Transfer to a floured surface and knead into a ball; wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour.
- Bring remaining sugar, wine, cinnamon, apples, salt, and orange zest to a boil in a 4 quart pan over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer until wine is reduced to a syrup, 25-30 minutes; let cool.
- Heat oven to 375°. Transfer dough to a floured surface; roll out to " thickness.
- Transfer dough to an 11" tart pan with a removable bottom; gently “fitting” dough into bottom and sides of pan.
- Trim dough edges; leaving enough dough to fold over edges of tart; reserve scraps.
- Transfer apple mixture to tart pan; fold dough sides over edges.
- For garnish: roll dough scraps to ⅛" thickness. Cut out leaf and grape shapes and arrange on top. Brush dough with egg white; sprinkle with sugar. (Or be creative and make your own design!)
- Bake until golden, 25-30 minutes.
Yield: 8 servings