Kickoff the new year with one of our unique cooking classes!
Barigoule of Spring Vegetables
Date: March 30, 2016
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 oz. snow peas, trimmed
- 1⁄3 cup fresh peas
- 6 baby carrots with green tops,
- 1 bunch pencil asparagus trimmed
- 1⁄2 tsp. coriander seeds
- 1⁄4 cup plus 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 10 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 4 bulbs baby fennel, trimmed and halved, or 2 med
- 4 bulbs spring onions
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 10 sprigs thyme
- 5 whole black peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 3 tbsp. sherry vinegar
- Cilantro sprigs, for garnish
- Maldon flake sea salt, for garnish
- Bring a 6-qt. saucepan of salted water to a boil. Working in batches, cook snow peas, peas, carrots, and asparagus until crisp-tender, about 1 minute each for peas, and 2–3 minutes for carrots and asparagus.
- Transfer vegetables to an ice bath until chilled; drain, and set aside.
- Wipe pan clean and toast coriander seeds over medium-high until fragrant, 1–2 minutes.
- Add 1⁄4 cup oil; cook garlic until golden, 3–4 minutes, and, using a slotted spoon, transfer to a bowl.
- Cook fennel and white onions until golden, 6–8 minutes; transfer to bowl with garlic.
- Add sliced onion greens, the stock, thyme, peppercorns, bay leaf, and vanilla bean; simmer until reduced by half, about 30 minutes.
- Strain stock and return to pan; whisk in remaining oil, the vinegar, salt, and pepper, and heat over medium.
- Stir in all reserved vegetables; cook, covered, until vegetables are heated through, 2–3 minutes. Divide vegetables between bowls and ladle broth over the top; garnish with cilantro sprigs and sea salt.
Yield; 4-6 servings