Lodge cast iron sale - 20% OFF all pieces! Friday, September 21st - Sunday, September 23rd.
Date: February 12, 2016
- 2 8 inch cake layers
- 1 recipe ermine buttercream
- ¾ cup fruit jam or jelly (optional)
- ¾ cup chocolate ganache (optional)
- Sprinkles, toasted coconut, or ground nuts
- Take each 8 inch layer and torte it in half and remove any dome that may have occurred during baking. Determine which layers you would like to use for the top and bottom.
- Place the bottom layer on an 8 inch cardboard cake round.
- Using a medium round pastry tip and a piping bag, pipe a dam of buttercream around the outside of the bottom layer.
- If desired, spread a thin layer of jam, then a thin layer of chocolate ganache. Then use the round tip to make an even layer of buttercream.
- Place the next layer on top and repeat the filling process. Repeat with remaining interior layers, then top the cake with the top layer.
- Make a very thin coat of buttercream all over the cake, smoothing the sides as best as possible.
- Chill the cake until the buttercream forms a soft shell.
- Place a final coating of buttercream on the cake. Once the frosting is fairly evenly distributed, use a cake comb, bench scraper or offset spatula, dipped in hot water and dried to completely smooth the outside of the cake.
- Pipe any desired borders or decorations onto the cake. Cakes can also be coated in a layer of ground nuts, sprinkles, or toasted coconut if the sides are not super smooth.
Yields: 1 8 inch cake or about 12 servings