NEW! Le Creuset Spring Collection–preorder your cocotte today!
Callaloo Pepper Pot Stew
Date: February 14, 2018
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 6 scallions, roughly chopped
- 3 sprigs thyme, stems removed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small white onion, roughly chopped
- 8 ounces fresh or canned cello, roughly chopped
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 3 Scotch bonnet chiles
- ---1 halved; 2 stemmed, seeded, minced
- 1 yellow yam or russet potato, peeled and cubed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the scallions, thyme, garlic, and onion and cook, stirring until soft, about 7 minutes. Stir in the callaloo, stock, and halved chile.
- Bring ingredients to a simmer over medium heat and cook, stirring, until the callaloo is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer the soup to a blender; discard the chile and purée until smooth.
- Return the soup to the pan over medium heat; stir in the yam, and cook, stirring, until the yam is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, and then serve the soup with the minced chiles on the side.
Yield: 6-8 Servings