Whisk holiday preview sale - great deals on everything in the store - through sunday, nov. 19th
Caramel Pumpkin Pie
Date: August 5, 2017
- Butter Flaky Pie Crust Recipe
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 can pumpkin, approximately 2 cups
- 1 cup cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- ¼ teaspoon ginger, ground
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- ⅛ teaspoon clove, ground
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup homemade caramel sauce
- ½ cup half & half
- 2 eggs
- --Homemade Caramel Sauce --
- 1¼ cups sugar
- ⅓ cup water
- ¾ cup whipping cream
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Roll out the pie crust and transfer it to a 9-inch pie pan; crimp the edges; chill for 30 minutes while the oven heats.
- Prepare your caramel sauce: Combine sugar and water in a large heavy saucepan; cook over medium-low heat, stirring often, until sugar dissolves.
- Increase heat to medium or medium-high and boil gently, without stirring, until syrup turns a deep amber color. Occasionally brush down sides of the pan with a wet pastry brush.
- Gradually add cream (sauce will bubble vigorously). Then add butter and stir gently until smooth. Remove from heat, and stir in vanilla.
- Set aside to cool slightly before adding to the pumpkin mixture.
- While caramel sauce cools - lightly pierce the pie shell with a fork. Line the pie crust with parchment or aluminum foil and fill with pie weights. Bake until the edges just start to brown, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove the weights and lining, and bake for another 5 minutes.
- While crust is baking prepare filling: In a medium bowl, beat the softened cream cheese with a mixer, until creamy. Add the mashed pumpkin, sugar, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, clove, vanilla, and room temperature caramel sauce; beat until well incorporated.
- Beat the half & half and eggs together, until well combined. Slowly add the egg mixture to the caramel pumpkin mixture and stir to incorporate all ingredients.
- Lower oven to 350°F.
- Place the partially-baked pie crust on a parchment-lined baking sheet and gently pour the filling into the crust and bake approximately 40-45 minutes, or until just set. Check the pie every 15 minutes or so, and cover the top when it becomes deep brown.
- Cool completely before serving.
- Garnish pie with extra caramel sauce “drizzle” and chopped pecans, and a dollop of whipped cream.
- Note: If the top of the pie begins to brown, place a piece of aluminum foil over the pie.
Yield: 6-8 Servings
Caramel Sauce 1¾ cups