All-Clad Sale - 50% OFF! While supplies last...
Chocolate Chess Pie
Date: January 25, 2018
- Pie Crust:
- 1¼ cups all purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted, cold butter, cubed
- ¼ cup or more cold whole milk
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 2 ounces semisweet baking chocolate, eg. Baker's
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Prepare Pie Crust: Preheat oven to 350°.
- Whisk together flour and salt in a medium bowl.
- Add in cold pieces of butter and, using a pastry blender, cut the butter into the flour mixture until the pieces of butter are equivalent to the size of peas.
- Next, add a little milk at a time, starting with a ¼ cup. Mix into the butter/flour mixture only until incorporated.
- If there are still some dry pieces of flour this is fine, as you do not want the mixture to be too wet. Add another two tablespoons of milk at a time, if needed.
- Turn the dough onto a clean surface and press it into a thick rectangle. Using a bench scraper, cut the dough in half and stack one half on top of the other. Repeat this several times until the dough begins to come together.
- Press the dough into a disk shape and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 15 minutes to 1 hour.
- Once you are ready to roll out the dough, place it on lightly floured surface and dust flour on the top of the dough and on the rolling pin. Begin rolling, making sure the dough is not sticking to the surface.
- Add more flour as needed, a little at a time. Continue rolling until the dough is slightly larger than the pie dish. Place in the dish and crimp the edges. Place a piece of parchment paper over the crust, being sure it goes above the edges of the crust.
- Place pie weights or raw beans on top of the parchment to cover the bottom. Pre-bake crust for 15-20 minutes, then remove parchment and pie weights.
- Filling: Microwave butter and chocolate on the melt setting in glass bowl.
- While the butter mixture is melting, whisk eggs, sugar, vanilla and salt in a bowl.
- Slowly drizzle the butter mixture into the egg mixture, whisking constantly until combined.
- Pour filling into your prebaked pie crust and bake another 35-45 minutes, or until the middle is set and the crust begins to turn a golden brown.
Yield: 8 Servings