MAY 20-28....MADE IN THE USA SALE! Hundreds of products, 20% OFF!!!
Chocolate Mousse with Raspberry Sauce
Date: March 30, 2016
- 4 eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup (150g) superfine sugar
- 1/4 cup (60ml) brandy
- 6 oz. (170g) dark chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup (60ml) espresso
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks - 170g) unsalted butter
- Pinch of salt
- 1 Tablespoon (15g) sugar
- Optional - 4 oz. (115g) fresh raspberries
- 6 0z. (170 g or 1 heaping cup) fresh raspberries
- 1/4 cup (50g) sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- Prepare a pot of barely simmering water that your medium bowl with fit over and prepare a water bath that will fit the same bowl.
- In a medium bowl, beat the egg yolks and superfine sugar until it forms a slowly dissolving ribbon when it falls back on itself. Whisk in the brandy and orange bitters.
- Set the bowl over pot with simmering water. Continue beating for about 3 minutes or until it thickens to a runny mayonnaise texture.
- Place bowl in water bath, whipping frequently for 3-4 minutes or until it is cool again.
- While the egg/sugar mix cools, place the chocolate and espresso in another medium bowl and melt the chocolate over the hot water. Remove from heat and stir in the butter a few pieces at a time. Stir until everything is smooth.
- Stir the chocolate into the egg mixture.
- In a separate bowl, whip the egg whites and salt to soft peaks *see note 1. Add the tablespoon of sugar and continue to whip to stiff peaks.
- Stir in 1/4 of the egg whites into the chocolate mix. Fold in the remaining egg whites.
- Place in serving dish or cups (if using optional fresh raspberries, layer raspberries while filling cups) and chill at least 2 hours to overnight. Serve with raspberry puree or fresh whipped cream.
- PART 2: Combine ingredients in a small saucepan. Over medium heat, cook until the raspberries release their juices and soften.
- PART 2: Continue cooking until the juices are syrupy thick.
- PART 2: Stain through a fine mesh strainer to remove the seeds. Taste and add more sugar or lime juice if necessary. Allow to cool and store them in refrigerator
Ingreidients 1-9 and steps 1-9 are for the Chocolate Mousse
Ingredients 10-12 and steps 10-12 are for the Raspberry Puree
Yields: 4-6 servings