Enjoy 20% off Schmidt Bros. BBQ Tools Through June 30!
DREAMY Cosmic Crunch Endive Appetizer
Appetizers & Small Plates
Date: February 12, 2016
- 3-4 Belgian Endives (green or red tip or both)
- 1 cup maple glazed nuts
- 1 cup blue cheese crumbles
- *optional ½ cup dried cranberries
- Balsamic glaze
- Trim endive root end as needed to remove spears cleanly. Wash and immerse in bath of ice water with lemon juice for 10 minutes to prevent browning of edges. Remove and dry thoroughly; set aside.
- Prepare maple glazed nuts, line a small, rimmed sheet pan with parchment paper; set aside.
- Place walnut pieces in a small saucepan or skillet, set over medium heat. Tossing pan often, toast nuts until they smell nutty and become slightly browned. Remove nuts immediately to a heatproof dish (they may burn if left in the pan, even if off heat).
- In a cool, small saucepan combine ½ cup maple syrup and 2 tablespoons evaporated cane juice or sugar. Set pan over medium heat and warm until it reaches a boil and sugar melts.
- Add toasted walnuts and stir well to coat. Spread nuts out in a single layer on prepared baking sheet.
- Once they’re cool enough to handle, break apart into individual pieces; set aside.
- Squirt a crisscross pattern of balsamic glaze on a round platter. Arrange spears in a wreath like Mandala (circle). Sprinkle blue cheese crumble in each spear followed by the same amount of glazed nuts. Top with a few dried cranberries for a festive look!
Yield: 8-10 servings