We're open for shopping on Saturday, September 15th. If you were evacuated from the coast, bring your id. You get 20% OFF!
Eastern North Carolina Biscuits
Appetizers & Small Plates
Date: June 11, 2017
- 2½ cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup lard
- 4 teaspoon baking powder
- ⅔ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk or buttermilk
- Heat oven to 450°F.
- Sift dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- With a pastry blender, cut in cold shortening until it is coarse with a few lumps.
- Stir in buttermilk with a spatula until a loose ball forms, being careful not to over-mix.
- Quickly turn dough onto a floured board and knead 4-6 turns.
- Pat into a circle, 1½” thick, and cut with a well-floured 2½” round sharp cutter.
- Place biscuits close, but not touching, on a parchment lined sheet pan.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes, turning halfway through baking.
- Brush with soft butter and serve immediately.