NEW! Le Creuset Spring Collection–preorder your cocotte today!
Date: February 12, 2016
- 4 ½ tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup unsalted butter, cubed and at room temp
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch of salt
- Whisk together flour and sugar in a medium saucepan. Whisk in the milk. Place the saucepan over low heat and bring to a boil, whisking continuously, then cook for one minute.
- Remove from heat and then pour the thickened mixture into a separate container to cool, with plastic wrap pressed against the surface.
- In a stand mixture, beat the butter until light and fluffy. Add the cooled flour mixture about a tablespoon at a time, making sure to mix well after each addition.
- Add the vanilla and salt and beat until the mixture looks smooth and creamy. For a little while, it may look curdled. If so, just keep whipping! It will come together.
Yields: Enough buttercream to frost and fill an 8 inch cake