Appetizers & Small Plates
Date: June 16, 2017
- 3 cups pecans
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup or honey
- ¼ teaspoon salt, plus more to finish
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Preheat oven to 250°.
- Place nuts on a sheet plan with a silpat. Bake in the oven for 5-7 minutes.
- While baking, mix together maple syrup or honey, salt, and smoked paprika; microwave on high for 30 seconds.
- Transfer warm nuts to a medium bowl. Quickly drizzle the syrup mixture over the nuts and stir until they are well coated.
- Return the coated nuts to the silpat-lined baking sheet and bake for 1½ to 2 hours, rotating 2-3 times.
- Take them out of the oven when it smells like the maple syrup is starting to caramelize – a tiny bit smoky.
- Remove the nuts from the oven, sprinkle on a pinch of salt, and quickly separate any clumps (note: the glaze will harden as the nuts cool).
- Allow to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to one week.
Yield: 3 cups