We're fully stocked with new items for Fall cooking and baking. Come look!
Hot Chocolate Pie
Date: August 7, 2017
- Butter Flaky Pie Crust Recipe
- 2 squares unsweetened chocolate
- 2 tablespoons butter, unsalted
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Miniature marshmallows, whipped cream, or meringue
- 2 egg whites
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tarter
- --Whipped Cream Topping--
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- Mini marshmallows for garnish
- Semi-sweet chocolate, for grating
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Make butter flaky pie crust according to instructions.
- Roll and place crust in a pie tin; prick with fork, and bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Baking time will vary depending upon how thick you roll your dough.
- Melt the chocolate and butter in a double boiler.
- In a bowl mix together sugar, flour and salt.
- Add dry mixture to the melted chocolate and the evaporated milk and stir well; then bring to a boil and stir until thick.
- Beat 2 egg yolks, reserving the egg whites for meringue topping (optional).
- Stir a small spoonful of chocolate into the egg yolks and then add the yolk mixture back into the chocolate mixture.
- Cook until thickened. Remove from the heat and stir in vanilla.
- Pour chocolate mixture into pie crust.
- Whip ingredients in the bowl of an electric mixer, fitted with whisk attachment, until stiff peaks form.
- Top the pie with meringue; bake in preheated oven at 325° for 20 minutes and serve warm.
Whipped Cream Topping (when ready to serve pie):
- Whip heavy cream and powdered sugar in the bowl of electric mixer, fitted with a whisk attachment, until stiff peaks form.
- Spread or pipe over pie.
- Garnish with mini marshmallows and grated semi-sweet chocolate.