NEW! Le Creuset Spring Collection–preorder your cocotte today!
Lobster Bisque with Buttered Brioche Crouton Hearts
Soups & Sandwiches
Date: February 12, 2016
- 2 lobster tails
- Shrimp shells
- 2 cups seafood stock
- 1-1/2 cups Maine lobster juice
- ½ cup white wine
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups finely chopped leeks
- 1-2 shallots, chopped
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 2-3 tbsp. brandy
- ¼ cup dry sherry
- 4 tbsp. butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1-1/2 cups cream
- Salt & Pepper
- Handful of chopped herbs for color
- 1 loaf brioche or challah bread
- Room temperature butter
- Freshly grated parmesan
- Black truffle salt
- Make stock: Place the shrimp shells, seafood stock, and lobster juice in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then add lobster tails. Simmer until lobster shells are bright red and the flesh is opaque (~10 minutes). Remove the tails and allow them to cool.
- Once you can handle, remove all of the meat and place in the refrigerator. Return the shells to your stock, add wine, and simmer for 10 more minutes. Strain and reserve the stock. Add enough lobster juice to make 3 3/4 cups. (You can stop at this point)
- Croutons: Preheat oven to 300 degrees. While the broth is simmering, trim off crusts and slice bread in thin pieces (length of the loaf). Butter rectangles on top. Using a cookie cutter, cut out heart shapes. Remaining bread can be cut into cubes.
- Toast croutons for 10-15 minutes (until golden and crisp). Sprinkle with black truffle salt and parmesan cheese and allow to melt for a few minutes. Remove from oven.
- Build the flavor: In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil. Add the leeks and shallots, cooking over low heat until tender, but not browned (~10 minutes). Add cayenne and brandy and cook for 1 minute, then add sherry and lobster and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Process: Transfer mixture to processor and pulse until coarsely pureed.
- Finish the bisque: Melt butter and add the flour, cooking over medium-low heat for 1 minute. Add the cream and cook, stirring with a whisk until thickened. Stir in the puree, stock, and tomato paste. Flavor with salt and pepper.
- Heat gently until hot. Serve topped with buttered croutons and a sprinkle of herbs.
Ingredients 1-17 are for the Bisque
Ingredients 18-21 are for the Crutons
Yields: 6-8 Servings