Yields: 24 mini cups
Mini Herbed Ricotta & Vegetable Filled Phyllo Cups
Appetizers & Small Plates
Date: June 6, 2016
- 2 cups of ricotta, drained
- 2 eggs
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1 tbsp. chopped fresh chives
- 1 tbsp. fresh Italian parsley, minced
- ¼ cup of grated Romano cheese
- ¼ cup of grated Fontina
- ¼ cup of grated Asiago
- 2 tbsp. shredded carrots, coarsely chopped
- 3 large shiitake mushrooms, small dice, no stems
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 3 sheets of phyllo dough
- Melted, unsalted, butter (approx. ½ to ¾ sticks)
- Olive oil, preferably in spray form
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Sauté mushrooms in small amount of butter and olive oil combination; cook for approximately 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic, and cook until fragrant. Remove mixture from pan and set aside.
- In a bowl combine the chives, parsley, Romano, Fontina, Asiago, Ricotta, and eggs until well incorporated.
- Add the cooled mushrooms, and carrots to ricotta and cheese mixture; season with sea salt and pepper, and gently mix to incorporate.
- Lightly spray your mini muffin tins. Set aside.
- Begin layering 3 sheets of phyllo. On your work surface being with your first layer, brush with melted butter, then layer second sheet, brush with butter, then layer a third sheet and brush with butter.
- Cut phyllo into 4 equal strips (vertically) cut directly down middle, then one cut to the left and one cut to the right of the middle cut.
- Next cut phyllo across (horizontally) in the same manner. Starting with one cut across the middle, then two cuts equally apart, to the left of the middle cut and to the right of the middle cut. You should have 24 squares.
- Next place a generous tablespoon of ricotta filling in each cup.
- Bake for approximately 15 minutes. Crust should be golden, and ricotta set.