Whisk holiday preview sale - great deals on everything in the store - through sunday, nov. 19th
Mongolian Beef Stew
Date: June 7, 2017
- 3 pounds beef, cut into 2" pieces
- --Beef: Brisket or short ribs (with or w/o bones)
- 1 medium white radish, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 cups beef stock or broth
- 6 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 scallions (spring onion or green) finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 red chill peppers, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 1 or 2 star anise
- 2 tablespoons Kosher salt or sea salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- ½ cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Chopped cilantro leaves for garnish
- Heat a Dutch oven, wok or deep saucepan with 3 tablespoons cooking oil.
- Season the meat with 1 tablespoon salt and pepper then brown the meat over moderately high heat; about 4 to 5 minutes. (Dividing the meat into two batches is preferred.)
- Transfer the meat to a large container.
- Add another 3 tablespoons oil into the cooking pan. Then add ginger, scallions, garlic, red chill pepper, and star anise and cook over moderate heat, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add beef stock, soy sauce, 1 tablespoon salt and sugar; heat until it begins to boil.
- Add beef to the broth, and simmer about 1½ hours (add a little bit of water if the broth is not fully covering the meat).
- Add radish, continue to cook about 1 more hour.
- Transfer the beef to a large serving plate and garnish with cilantro.
Yield: 4-6 Servings