All-Clad Sale - 50% OFF! While supplies last...
No-bake Nanaimo bars
Date: October 12, 2016
- ¾ cup unsalted butter
- ¼ cup sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 6 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- Middle Layer:
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 4 tablespoons custard powder
- 4 cups confectioner's sugar
- Top Layer:
- 8 ounces semisweet or dark chocolate
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Crust (Use Steps 2-5):
- Combine first 6 ingredients in a large saucepan. Heat and stir over medium-low heat until mixture is smooth. Remove from heat.
- Stir in graham crumbs, coconut, and walnuts.
- Pack firmly into ungreased 9"x13" pan.
- Place in the refrigerator to chill while you prepare the middle layer.
- Middle Layer (Use Steps 7-8):
- Beat all 4 ingredients together in medium bowl until smooth.
- Spread over first layer. Chill for 45 minutes.
- Top Layer (Use Steps 10-12):
- Melt chocolate and butter in a small bowl at 50% power in the microwave. Microwave for about 1½ minutes, stir, then microwave another 30 seconds or longer if needed, stirring frequently.
- Spread chocolate mixture fairly evenly over the middle layer.
- Chill for 1 hour, then score chocolate with a sharp knife and return to fridge to chill completely before cutting into bars.
Scoring the chocolate just means making shallow cuts in it so that it will not chill into a solid mass which will crack when you eventually go to cut these into bars.
Yield: 12-16 servings