Whisk's Customer Appreciation Sale - Saturday, July 29th. Great deals and free gift with purchase!
Date: March 29, 2016
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 boneless rib-eye or New York strip steak
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 400. Heat oil in a large cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet (not a nonstick) over medium-high until it begins to smoke.
- Pat steak dry with paper towels. Season each side with 1 teaspoon coarse salt and 1 teaspoon cracked pepper.
- Cook steak in skillet over medium-high heat until a dark crust has formed, 5 to 7 minutes per side (reduce heat if meat is browning too quickly). Holding steak with tongs, quickly brown all edges, turning as necessary; lay steak flat in skillet.
- Transfer skillet to oven. Roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part of steak registers desired doneness, 5 to 15 minutes.
- Transfer to a plate; Cover loosely with aluminum foil, and let rest 5 to 10 minutes (temperature will then rise another 5 to 10 degrees). Slice across the grain.
Steak must be 1 1/2 to 2 pounds and 2 1/2 inches thick, room temperature