Kickoff the new year with one of our unique cooking classes!
Pea Soup "Shooters" with Mint & Pancetta
Appetizers & Small Plates, Soups & Sandwiches
Date: March 30, 2016
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 ounces pancetta, small dice
- 2 cups leeks, white and light green parts chopped
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 5 cups fresh peas or 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup crème fraiche
- 1⁄2 cup fresh mint, chopped
- Garlic-flavored croutons, for serving
- In a large saucepan, over medium heat melt the butter, oil and pancetta.
- Sauté the pancetta until it the fat has rendered and the meat is crisp.
- Remove from the pan and set aside for the garnish.
- Add the leeks and onion, and cook over medium-low heat for 5 to 10 minutes, until the onion is tender.
- Add the chicken stock, increase the heat to high, and bring to a boil.
- Add the peas and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, until the peas are tender. (Frozen peas will take only 3 minutes.)
- Remove from the heat and season with salt, and pepper.
- Puree the soup in batches: place 1 cup of soup in a blender, place the lid on top, and puree on low speed.
- With the blender still running, open the vent hole in the lid and slowly add more soup until the blender is three-quarters full.
- Pour the soup into a large bowl and repeat until all the soup is pureed.
- Whisk in the crème fraiche and chives and taste for seasoning.
Yield: 6-8 servings