Enjoy 20% off Schmidt Bros. BBQ Tools Through June 30!
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 large green plantains, peeled, cut medium chunks
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup cilantro, fresh
- Lime wedges
- Plantain chips
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add onion, carrot and celery. Cook until onions are translucent.
- Add garlic and cook additional 1-2 minutes.
- Add the chicken or vegetable broth to the pot and bring it to a boil over high heat.
- Add the plantains and bay leaf. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for approximately 35-45 minutes, until the plantains are tender.
- Salt to taste.
- Remove the bay leaf.
- Transfer the mixture to a blender, add fresh cilantro and puree.
- Transfer the puree soup back into the stockpot and cook over low heat uncovered for 15 to 20 minutes to allow the soup to thicken serve in bowls and garnish with cilantro and a squeeze of lime juice and plantain chip.
Yields: 4 Servings
Heat oil in a 5-quart heavy pot over moderate heat until a deep-fat thermometer registers 375°F. While oil is heating, cut ends from plantains and score skin of each plantain 5 times lengthwise, avoiding ridges. Soak in hot tap water 5 minutes and peel. Cut plantains lengthwise with a U-shaped peeler or manual slicer into very thin strips (about 116 inch thick). Fry strips, 6 at a time, turning frequently, until golden, 30 to 45 seconds. Transfer with tongs to paper towels and sprinkle crisps immediately with salt mixture.