End of Summer Sale - 20% OFF Ice Cream and Popsicle Gadgets, Life Factory Glasses, and BBQ Tools - Ends August 27th.
- 1 cup red quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1 medium zucchini, medium dice
- 2 to 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- ½ cup pine nuts toasted in a dry pan
- 2 tbsp. fresh Italian parsley, minced
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil, good quality
- Sea Salt and black pepper to taste
- Zest and juice from one large lemon
- Follow package instructions for cooking quinoa; 1 cup quinoa to 2 cups liquid. Bring quinoa and water to a boil, reduce heat to simmer. Cover and cook until liquid is evaporated.
- While quinoa cooks, toast pine nuts in a dry frying pan over high heat. Toast until the nuts smell toasted. Quickly remove from pan. Do not allow to brown or they will be come bitter tasting - this should take 1 to 2 minutes.
- Heat small amount of oil in a fry pan over medium high heat. Add zucchini and cook until fork tender. Remove from pan and set aside - OR place zucchini rounds on preheated grill-see note below.
- When quinoa is done, fluff with fork, and remove from pan to mixing bowl.
- Add the zucchini, green onions, pine nuts, lemon zest and lemon juice. Drizzle with olive oil , season with sea salt and pepper, and toss to incorporate.
- Taste and adjust seasonings, if necessary.
- Can be served hot, warm, or cold.
Grilling zucchini: if done on outdoor grill you can utilize a vegetable “tray” and grill according to desire likeness; if you do not have a vegetable “tray for your grill, slice zucchini into ¼ “ slices, place in bowl and toss lightly with olive oil, then place rounds on your preheated grill, when done, coarsely chop zucchini, set aside until quinoa is cooked
Yields: approximately 4 servings