Roasted Tomato Soup
Soups & Sandwiches
Date: February 12, 2016
- 3 pounds fresh tomatoes (mix of fresh heirlooms)
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 small yellow onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves, optional
- 3/4 cup heavy cream, optional
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Wash, core and cut the tomatoes into halves. Spread the tomatoes, garlic cloves and onions onto a baking tray. Drizzle with 1/2 cup of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 30 minutes to an hour, or until caramelized.
- Remove roasted tomatoes, garlic and onion from the oven and transfer to a large pot. Add 1 cup of the chicken stock. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until liquid has reduced by a third.
- Wash and dry basil leaves, if using, and add to the pot. Use an immersion blender to puree the soup until smooth. Return soup to low heat, add cream and adjust consistency with remaining chicken stock, if necessary. Season to taste with salt and freshl
Yields 4-6 Servings