We're fully stocked with new items for Fall cooking and baking. Come look!
Date: March 30, 2016
- 2 heads frisée lettuce
- 1/4 pound bacon
- Vinaigrette (recipe follows)
- 4 slices pain de Campagne or rustic sourdough brea
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a small, lidded jar, combine the vinegar, mustard, and oil; cover and shake to combine.
- Season to taste (but not too much, given the saltiness of the salad’s other ingredients). Taste with a piece of lettuce and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
- Wash, sort, and dry the lettuce. If using dandelion leaves, remove the hard stems and tear the leaves into bite-size pieces.
- Cut the bacon into lardons, or 1/4-inch-thick matchsticks.
- Prepare the vinaigrette.
- Cut the bread into 1/2- inch cubes for croutons.
- In a medium sauté pan over medium-high heat, cook the lardons until they start to crisp and most of their fat has rendered. Remove them from the pan.
- With the flat side of a chef’s knife, lightly crush the remaining clove of garlic. Add it to the remaining bacon fat in the pan.
- Add the croutons turning the cubes so that they are lightly toasted on all sides.
- Remove from sauté pan and place on to a sheet pan. Place into a preheated 400 degree oven until they are golden brown.
- Prepare the coddled eggs: bring a large pot of water to a boil, then lower the eggs gently into the boiling water and cook for 5 minutes, adding 30 seconds if your eggs are jumbo.
- Drain them immediately and run cold water into the pan to stop the cooking and to cool the eggs so you can handle them. Gently crack and peel the eggs, taking care not to tear the white.
- The yolk should still be runny. Rinse the peeled eggs to wash away any bits of shell.
- In a large bowl, toss the lettuce with the vinaigrette. Scatter the croutons and bacon over the salad. Arrange the eggs on top and serve.
Ingredients 7-10 and steps 1 & 2 are for the Vinaigrette
Ingredients 1-6 and steps 3-14 are for the Salad
Yield: 4-6 servings