Southern Corn Ravioli with a Sweet Herb Cream Sauce
Date: August 9, 2016
- 250 grams flour (about 2 cups)
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon water, if needed
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Place flour on a clean surface. Make a hole in the center and add the eggs, and oil. Begin incorporating the flour using a fork to pull it into the center. It’s ok if there are lumps.
- Add water if still crumbly or if it doesn’t all “stick” together. You want the dough to form a ball.
- Once the mixture is combined, begin kneading. This may take 10-15 minutes. Continue kneading until dough is smooth.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and set aside at room temperature for at least 25 minutes but no more than an hour. Place in fridge if the dough is going to be rolled out the next day.
- You can also place all ingredients into a stand mixer and mix with a dough hook until it forms a smooth ball. Finish kneading on a clean surface before wrapping in plastic wrap.
- Bring dough to room temperature before rolling it out.
- When rolling out the ravioli, follow the instructions on the pasta machine. Once you get to the desired thickness, place on a lightly floured surface. Place 1 tablespoon of filling in center of pasta, leaving at least 1½ inches between tablespoons.
- Brush edges with egg wash (1 egg plus 2 tablespoons water) and top with another layer of pasta. Press down on the edges trying to get all the air out from around the filling. Cut and set aside. You may freeze the ravioli once made instead of boiling.
Ingredients: Filling and Sauce
- 3 ears of sweet corn, shucked and taken off cob
- 3 tablespoons onion, small dice
- 10 basil leaves, cut
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1.5 cups heavy cream
- 10 ounces ricotta cheese
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a sauté pan. Add the corn and onions.
- Continue cooking 5-10 minutes until corn is cooked. Add in half the basil and season with salt and pepper.
- Add in ¼ cup heavy cream and reduce by half.
- Take out about ⅓ cup of the mixture.
- Smash corn mixture a bit with a spatula or fork.
- Add in ricotta, turn heat off and combine. Season and set aside until ready to fill raviolis.
- For the sauce, melt the butter in s small sauté pan.
- Once melted, add in the basil and cook until slightly crispy.
- Add in remaining cream and reduce until it thickens. Add the ⅓ cup reserved corn mixture.
- Season and right before serving combine pasta with sauce.
Yield: 6-8 servings