We're fully stocked with new items for Fall cooking and baking. Come look!
Appetizers & Small Plates
Date: June 6, 2017
- ⅔ cup hoisin sauce
- ⅓ cup creamy peanut butter
- ⅓ cup water
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1½ tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- --Summer Rolls--
- 3 ounces dried rice-stick noodles
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, divided
- 1½ teaspoons sugar
- 2¾ cups coarsely grated carrot
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped serrano or jalapeño
- 12 (8-inch) rice-paper rounds + extra
- 4 cups thinly sliced napa cabbage, chopped course
- 1 cup finely chopped cocktail peanuts
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves (Asian or Italian)
- For the Sauce: Whisk together sauce ingredients in a bowl until smooth. Set aside.
- For the Summer Rolls: Place noodles in a heatproof bowl and cover with boiling-hot water. Soak noodles for 10 minutes then drain and pat dry. Toss noodles with 1 tablespoon lime juice. Cut noodles with kitchen shears or a knife in 5 or 6 places.
- Stir together sugar and the remaining tablespoon of lime juice in another bowl until sugar is dissolved; then toss with carrots and chilies.
- Gently immerse 1 rice-paper round in a large bowl of hot tap water and let stand until soft and pliable, 15-20 seconds. Lift out, letting excess water drip off, then lay the round on a work surface, smoothing it out.
- Arrange about ¼ cup of cabbage across the center of the round, leaving about 1½ inches uncovered on both sides. Top cabbage evenly with 3 tablespoons carrot mixture, then sprinkle with 1 generous tablespoon of peanuts.
- Cover mound of vegetables with a layer each of mint and basil leaves. Top evenly with about 2 tablespoons of noodles.
- Fold the edge of the wrapper nearest you over filling, tucking in filling as tightly as possible, until it touches other side of wrapper. Then fold in the sides and continue to tightly roll until sealed.
- Put roll on a rimmed baking sheet lined with a damp towel and cover with another damp towel. Make 11 more rolls in the same manner, storing them on baking sheet without touching.
Yield: 6 servings (12 Summer Rolls)