Gadgets make great stocking stuffers!
Date: March 29, 2016
- ½ pound mascarpone cheese, softened
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup milk
- ½ cup heavy cream, plus 2 tablespoons divided
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ cup espresso
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 2 packages lady finger cookies
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
- Whisk together egg yolks, sugar and milk in a saucepan. Heat, stirring constantly, just until it comes to a boil, remove from heat. Pour mixture into a bowl and cover with plastic wrap before refrigerating until completely cooled.
- Using a stand mixer with paddle attachment beat mascarpone cheese with 2 Tablespoons heavy cream until completely smooth. Make sure to scrape down the sides and bottom to avoid lumps. Add the chilled custard and mix on low until combined.
- In a separate bowl whip heavy cream and vanilla until stiff peaks form. Gently fold whipped cream into mascarpone custard.
- Combine the espresso and run in a small bowl. Dip the ladyfingers in the mixture and press into baking dish or glasses, top with mascarpone custard and repeat, finishing with custard on top. Dust with coca powder and chill for service.
Yields: 10 small servings