Whisk's Customer Appreciation Sale - Saturday, July 29th. Great deals and free gift with purchase!
Tomato Quiche Provencal
Appetizers & Small Plates
Date: October 12, 2016
- Pie crust; whole wheat or pâte brisée
- 1/2 cup black olives
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves Garlic; minced
- 2 medium onions; sliced
- 2 cups tomato puree
- Cayenne pepper
- Ground black pepper
- Dried oregano
- Dried thyme
- 1 whole egg
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley; minced
- Parmesan cheese
- 1-2 tomatoes; sliced
- Pre-bake a pie shell.
- Base: Blend ½ cup black olives to a coarse paste.
- Filling: Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a pan, then sauté, 2 cloves of garlic, minced 2 medium onions, sliced thinly until the onions are cooked but not browned.
- Filling Cont.: Add 2 cups tomato puree and cook the mixture until it is very thick and the water has almost evaporated. Season the mixture with cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper, oregano and thyme.
- Let the filling cool almost to room temperature, then stir in 1 whole egg, 3 egg yolks and ½ cup minced fresh parsley.
- Grate some parmesan cheese and slice 1-2 fresh tomatoes.
- Preheat the oven to 375 F. Assemble the quiche- layer the olive paste at the bottom of the prebaked pie shell, then pour in the filling, scatter the cheese and arrange the tomato slices ("tastefully", Julia instructs).
- Drizzle the top with olive oil and sprinkle with some salt and pepper. Bake the quiche for 30-40 minutes until the cheese is golden and bubbly.
Yield: 6 Servings