Tortellini with Sausage, Sautéed Mushrooms and Garlic
Date: October 17, 2016
- 250 grams of flour (approx. 2 cups)
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ cup ricotta cheese
- ¼ cup Parmesan, grated
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 12 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1½ tbls Italian herbs (oregano, basil, sage, etc.)
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- To make tortellini dough:
- Place flour on a clean surface. Make a hole in the center and add the eggs, and oil. Begin incorporating the flour using a fork to pull it into the center.
- It’s ok if there are clumps. Add water if still crumbly or if it doesn’t all “stick” together. You want the dough to form a ball.
- Once the mixture is combined begin kneading. This may take 10-15 minutes. Continue kneading until dough is smooth.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and set aside at room temperature for at least 25 minutes but no more than an hour. Place in fridge if the dough is going to be rolled out the next day.
- Bring to room temperature before rolling out the dough. You can also place all ingredients into a stand mixer and mix with a dough hook until it forms a smooth ball.
- Finish kneading on a clean surface before wrapping in plastic wrap.
- Follow the instructions on the pasta machine. Make sure to start at the lowest number (widest the machine will go) and work your way up, not skipping any numbers.
- Dust surface with flour and begin making the tortellini.
- For the tortellini filling, combine the ricotta and ¼ cup Parmesan.
- After dough is rolled out, cut a 3 or 4 inch circle (can use biscuit cutter) and place ½ tsp of cheese mixture in center.
- Brush bottom half with egg wash, and fold down edges. Press slightly and fold over your finger to make the shape of a tortellini.
- Cook sausage in pan over medium heat, breaking into small pieces as it cooks.
- Once sausage is cooked and starting to brown, remove it and set it aside. Keep the sausage drippings in the pan.
- Add the olive oil to the pan and heat.
- Sauté the mushrooms and garlic in the pan for a few minutes. Add herbs if using dried.
- Once the mushrooms have released some liquid and cooked down a bit (about 5-8 minutes) add the heavy cream.
- Reduce slightly. Then turn heat off.
- Cook pasta, reserving a cup of the pasta water.
- Add cooked pasta to pan with cream and mushrooms along with sausage and cheese (and any fresh herbs).
- Add ¼ cup pasta water at a time to thin out sauce and season with salt and pepper.
Yield: 6 servings