Ultimate Chicken Pie
Date: February 23, 2018
- --Pie Crust--
- Follow recipe for Sour Cream Pastry Crust
- Use deep dish 9” pie pan
- 6 tablespoons butter, unsalted
- 6 tablespoons flour
- ½ teaspoon sea salt (omit if using salted butter)
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 1¾ cups chicken broth
- ⅔ cups half and half
- 3 cups chopped, cooked chicken
- ½ cup celery, small dice
- ¼ cup sweet onion, small dice
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Prepare Sour Cream Pastry Crust according to instructions; wrap and refrigerate until ready to roll crust.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour, salt and pepper until smooth, and cook over medium-low heat, whisking constantly until mixture is a light golden brown.
- Slowly add in liquids, whisking to create a smooth mixture and making sure to scrape around the edges of the pan to incorporate fully.
- Continue to cook slowly until thickened. If mixture is a bit too thick slowly, add a more chicken broth; then remove from heat.
- Add chicken, mix well, and allow to cool slightly.
- Roll out pastry to fit a 9” pie pan and line the pan with pastry crust.
- Pour cooled chicken mixture into pie dish lined with pastry crust.
- Top with pastry crust, crimp edges, cut a ½” slit in center of crust for steam to vent, and brush lightly with egg wash.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly; approximately 35 minutes.
Yield: 6 servings