Whisk's Customer Appreciation Sale - Saturday, July 29th. Great deals and free gift with purchase!
Vanilla Pears with Rosemary Caramel
Date: November 2, 2016
- Caramel Sauce:
- 1½ cups heavy cream
- ¼ cup rosemary leaves
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla paste
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- ¼ teaspoon cloves
- 4 pears
- 1 lemon, quartered
- Rosemary leaves, finely chopped
- Caramel Sauce: (Use Steps 2-10)
- Combine the heavy cream and rosemary in a pot and bring to a simmer.
- Remove from the heat and let steep for 15 minutes.
- Blend the cream and rosemary together and strain the cream.
- Mix sugar and water together in a pot, it should resemble wet sand.
- Heat the sugar over medium heat, without stirring, until it melts and bubbles.
- Once it starts to brown, stir it gently until it turns a nice amber color. If clumps form, cook for longer until they melt, almost all lumps will eventually melt out.
- Once the sugar is a nice amber color, about 10 to 20 minutes total cooking time, pour in the rosemary cream while stirring, being sure not to burn yourself on the hot steam that is released.
- Mix well to fully incorporate the cream into the sugar and then cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let the caramel sauce cool. The caramel sauce will last in the refrigerator for several days.
- Pears: (Use Steps 12-20)
- Preheat the water bath to 185⁰.
- Combine the butter, sugar, vanilla paste and spices.
- Peel the pears, squeezing lemon juice overtop of them to prevent browning. Cut the pears in half length-wise and remove stem and core.
- Place pears in a bag in a single layer, using multiple bags if necessary.
- Add the butter mixture to the bag and seal,
- Cook for 45 to 60 minutes.
- Once pears are tender, remove them from water and bag.
- Thinly slice pears and lay out on a plate.
- Drizzle the rosemary caramel sauce over the pears then top with chopped walnuts and sprinkle with the chopped rosemary leaves.
Yields: 8 servings